Wednesday, September 22, 2010

SOTE: Cuir de Lancome SOTD: Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum

I'm on a leather kick lately. And a boot kick. Wore my gorgeous new rubber boots and Cuir de Lancome last night to get out for a drink with a girlfriend. We had such a blast, and it was so lovely to get her out of the house and get her laughing. She's a new mom, and the sleep deprivation and anxiety has really been getting to her.

The minute I woke up this morning, I knew the scent of the day had to be Cuir de Russie. So I have that luxurious thing on, and my leather wedge boots that lace up in the back. I feel much better than yesterday. Every time I wear Cuir de Russie, I think all I ever want to wear is leather scents, and I go on a rampage looking for yet more. But it really is so rare to find good birch-tar-based leather scents. My other favorites are the saffron-infused suede of Cuir de Lancome, the extra-tarred, extra-cloved vintage Lanvin Scandal parfum, the endearingly furry leather of L'Artisan Dzing!, and the heavenly burnt rubber of Bvlgari Black. I would love to get some of Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur, but am worried that when I want the luxury leather thing, I'll inevitably go to my Cuir de Russie.

I'm probably weird, but my nose doesn't really read the isobutyl quinoline-based scents as leather. They are more like ashtray. Not that I dislike ashtray -- vintage Cabochard parfum is my favorite ashtray scent, and the recent Diorling reformulation is a close second. But I just can't do Bandit. Well, maybe I will someday when a bottle of the vintage parfum falls out of the sky and into my lap.

But until that day, what should be my next leather, do you think? What's your next leather scent going to be? Knize Ten? Etro Gomma? Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque? Maybe I should wait for Traversée du Bosphore?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Boxeuses, if I ever get to, or know anyone who is going to, Paris.

StyleSpy said...

Le Labo Patch 24 reads much more leather than patch to me and it? Is gorgeous. Give it a sniff.

Martha said...

Cuir de Russie! Yes! This one keeps being a Bottle Purchase Debate for me. If they'd just come out with a small bottle, there would be no doubt, but I have so much trouble buying large bottles. It's illogical - I've often said that _any_ perfume bottle bigger than a quarter ounce is essentially a device that will produce a given scent for the rest of my life, at the rate I use perfume. But there it is anyway.

Another vote for Patchouli 24 - big dose of birch tar.

Alyssa said...

Chicken Freak--go for a smaller bottle of the extrait/parfum. I promise you will not regret it.

Aimee-hmmm...so many good leathers out there! How about a nice apricot suede from Uncle Serge--Daim Blond. Or Cuir Ottoman, from the Parfums d'Empire people. Or if you want to go all the way on the pale blonde end of the spectrum, how about the warm iris suede of Parfumes DelRae Mythique?

LOVE Scandal, by the way. For me its right up there with Cuir de Russie.

P.S. BOOTS!

Aimée L'Ondée said...

Hey Alyssa, you're right, Mythique is suedey, isn't it? Good idear. I'm not a fan of Daim Blond, though.

KJ, StyleSpy, and ChickenFreak, I'm so sorry I neglected your comments! The Patchouli 24 is a great suggestion, as is Boxeuses. And I definitely second Alyssa's recommendation to get a bottle of the Cuir de Russie extrait. I will never regret mine, I'm sure!

Sniffing Around said...

Love, love, love Cuir de Russie and just this week discovered Cuir de Lancome. I've been on a leather kick too: love Dzing! as well, tried out Jolie Madame and then realized that the Vraie Blond by Etat Libre D'Orange that I was addicted to in September is also leathery. Yum, yum, yum. Check out Vraie Blond--I think you'll like it.